RE: "snapshot too old" and undo_retention

  • From: "Hallas, John, Tech Dev" <John.Hallas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <roger_xu@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle-L@Freelists. Org (E-mail)" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 08:04:30 +0100

If it is a huge table then it does not really matter how accurate the
statistics are so why bother gathering them. Estimate them instead.

  dbms_stats.set_table_stats( user, 'TABLE', numrows => 50000, numblks
=> 10000 );

  dbms_stats.set_column_stats( user, 'TABLE', 'COLUMN',  distcnt =>
15000 );

I think space is the only issue with a large undo_rention area. However
do you really want a job to be running for 36 hours

Is the table not partitioned? If so then use the partition option of
dbms_stats and break the job down into smaller sections

HTH

John

  _____