RE: simple platform independent scripting language (now using Shell Scripts on *NIX)

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jeremy.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "nigel.cl.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <nigel.cl.thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:45:03 +0100

Question is, is there a scripting language that is really platform independent?

I'm just working on a little script that needs to pass some sql statement to
sqlplus and this needs to be done differently on linux and windows (yes, I know
DBI, but on this particular script it is not a solution).

So, yes Perl itself is platform independent, but if you start to interface with
other applications it becomes platform dependent again.

PS) you can retrieve the OS type by using the $^O variable

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator