Re: shutdown abort warnings

and indeed David is listed as working on a Y2K project, so I doubt it's a
case of 'still talking about' and more a case of 'date your white papers
then everyone will know when they are written'. I have to say that the idea
of shutting down a database instance in order to kill an orphaned o/s
process seemed fundamentally wrong headed to me.

On shutdown abort itself - well I trust Oracle to recover after a power
failure, I know crash recovery did have issues in some antediluvian
versions, but fundamentally if you don't trust crash recovery of your
database it's time to find another database.

Niall

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM, <TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well i can't take it too seriious they still are talking about server
> manager :)
>

> Thanks,  Joe
>
> ---------------------------------------
> You can have it: Fast, Right or Cheap, pick 2 of the 3.
> Fast + Right is Expensive
> Fast + Cheap will be incorrect.
> Right + Cheap will take a while.
>

>   *<Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>*
>
> *Sent by:** **oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx*
>

> *04/16/2008 02:46 PM*
> Please respond to Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx   From
> *<Joel.Patterson@xxxxxxxxxxx>*  To
> <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  cc
>   Subject
> shutdown abort warnings
>

> I was reading (and contributed my .02£), to the forum discussion awhile
> ago concerning shutdown abort yet came across this advice and warnings of
> possible corruption still being advertised.
>
> Does this lend credit to the institution, or take points away?  The
> leanings where very much favorable to abort with much in depth analysis.
>
> http://www.embarcadero.co.uk/resources/tech_papers/oracleorphan.pdf
>
> If so, one wonders....  (not that I have any intention of utilizing there
> services in the first place... it is simply academic).
>
> --

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info