RE: should one use ANSI join syntax when writing an Oracle application?

  • From: "Mindaugas Navickas" <mnavickas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:20:20 -0400

"My guess is that it would not be too hard to do a non-outer equijoin and
slap that together with the pair of not-in or minuses and thereby compete
with ANSI's cost."

Anybody volunteer to try it with purpose to show how "clear" statement would
become?

In my previous e-mail I also wanted to stress clarity of the construct when
using ANSI full outer join - to argue statements made by other listers. But
on the other hand, from my experience, application performance always
prevails code clarity requirements. And because of this I am not ready
making my live harder to find "Oracle native way" when ANSI syntax is
available which preserves both clarity and performance. Hopefully, Mladen
will not be the one who reviews my code :-)

Mindaugas