Re: should I analyze system statistics on ORACLE 10GR2?

  • From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx, mccdba1@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 06:17:29 -0800 (PST)

Collecting system statistics is really an 'it depends' situation since if
you're
running Siebel or SAP applications in 10g and later releases creating a job to
collect system statistics can cause problems with performance ( the SAP team
where I worked my last contract did NOT collect system statistics because when
they tried it caused some critical query plans to change for the worse ).  In
other cases it may be acceptable and improve the performance of some queries so
it's best to test this tactic before you implement in a production environment
so the users aren't caught by surprise with dismal execution plans for queries
that once ran acceptably.

David Fitzjarrell