Re: should I analyze system statistics on ORACLE 10GR2?

Hi

It seems to me that 2 things are being confused in the replies here.

The quote that dba1 mcc refers to is specifically about system statistics
(better referred to as the CPU costing model) where statistics about the
capability of the underlying hardware are used to modify the cost
calculations that the optimizer users to calculate the optimal execution
plan. These are different from object statistics which are the information
about database objects that the CBO uses to calculate optimal execution
plans. Specifically object statistics for the SYS schema are not "system
statistics" but a special case of object statistics. Object statistics need
to be representative of the object and data in use, which typically means
periodic updates and may well mean special treatment for specific database
objects (I recently blogged about the fact that column statistics for
density can be badly unrepresentative with default sampling for specific
columns until 11.2 for example) . System statistics however should be
representative of the hardware behaviour under load and so typically should
probably only be recollected if the load or hardware changes significantly.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 5:03 AM, Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA