Re: shmall on Linux recommendation

  • From: Surachart Opun <surachart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Dave.Herring@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:12:25 +0700

If you use SGA = 17 GB , shmall should be 4456448 ).
If you set it less than ... you will see
SQL> startup
ORA-27102: out of memory
Linux-x86_64 Error: 28: No space left on device

http://surachartopun.com/2009/10/shared-memory-tuning-startup-database.html

If you're finding out other doc (except doc 301830.1)
Tuning Red Hat Enterprise Linux: Oracle and Oracle
RAC<http://www.redhat.com/f/pdf/summit/scroft_240_turning_rhel_for_oracle.pdf>

mem=$(free|grep Mem|awk '{print$2}')
totmem=$(echo "$mem*1024"|bc)
huge=$(grep Hugepagesize /proc/meminfo|awk '{print $2}')
max=$(echo "$totmem*75/100"|bc)
all=$(echo "$max/$huge"|bc)
echo "kernel.shmmax = $max"
echo "kernel.shmall = $all"

>Sizing shmall to be the SUM of the SGAs on the server makes sense, but I'm
curious if anyone has experience that suggests otherwise?  Also, can anyone
think of a good reason to set shmall to RAM + swap (other than "'cuz it's
there")?

I don't use SWAP to calculate. I use only Physical memory. and SWAP is DISK
anyway.

Good Luck
Surachart Opun
http://surachartopun.com