RE: shared_pool_reserved_size and sga

  • From: "Taylor, Chris David" <ChrisDavid.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx'" <veeeraman@xxxxxxxxx>, 'ORACLE-L' <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 16:16:02 -0500

Shared_pool_reserved_size needs to be 25%-30% of shared_pool_size I believe.
If you get the the "Unable to allocate "x" bytes ... shared_pool" messages
typically you've exhausted contiguous space in the shared_pool.  (There's a
pretty good rule of thumb out there somewhere on the ratio)

There's all kinds of things that fragment the shared_pool - exports, queries
etc.  (The exports bit me one time as I was running one every night and by the
end of the week I was getting the unable to allocate 'x' bytes of space in
shared_pool messages)

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205
Office: 615-517-3355
Cell: 615-663-1673
Email: chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:chris.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and
may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the
sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing
the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the
information on any medium.