From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cosmin Ioan
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2007 10:38 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: re: set based transaction management; SAVEPOINTS

hello all,
one more quandary and I'll try to illustrate it by a small example:
A big procedure (in a package), PROC_A is executed from Java.  I want
(at the)  Java (level) to  determine the  COMMIT/ROLLBACK (at the very
end) or commit every X records.

PROC_A  contains a LOOP on possibly hundreds or thousands of iterations.
Each iteration can contain multiple DML operation, and each of these DML
operation can fail (select not found, record not updated, insert key
violation, etc)

How can I code this transaction management -- through (dynamic
SAVEPOINTS? -- is there such a thing?)  so that when (and if transaction
management, the commit is done only at the very end of PROC_A) any one
of these DML's fail, then I roll back **all of the operations within
that specific iteration only** (but previous or subsequent successful
iterations get committed).

any thoughts?
thx a bunch,
Cos

NOTICE:  This electronic mail message and any attached files are confidential.
The information is exclusively for the use of the individual or entity intended
as the recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, copying,
printing, reviewing, retention, disclosure, distribution or forwarding of the
message or any attached file is not authorized and is strictly prohibited.  If
you have received this electronic mail message in error, please advise the
sender by reply electronic mail immediately and permanently delete the original
transmission, any attachments and any copies of this message from your computer
system. Thank you.