RE: session_cached_cursors pros & cons

  • From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'SJHussain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <SJHussain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:53:47 -0500

Syed,
        When I first came across SCS I called Oracle support and asked what
they thought would be appropriate.  They had no clue to what I was talking
about and finally suggested some value less than 10.
        Luckily I came across someone who suggested increments of 100 were
far more appropriate.  I remember Tom Kyte suggesting starting at a 100 for
a new database and that memory usage was minimal.  Steve Adams has a couple
of scripts on his website to show you usage.  Steve seemed more concerned
about memory than Tom, but I don't know if he's still concerned for 9 or
10G.  If you use Oraperf.com and send a statspack report they'll give you a
pretty good idea of what to set it to.

        Our values are generally between 100-1000, but we have one set at
6000.

        Larry