From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mercadante, Thomas F
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 1:15 PM
To: 'JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx'; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

Jeff,

In my view, separating indexes and tables was never about tablespace
contention.  It was always about moving the index and table files onto
separate disk drives to avoid disk contention.

Now that we have SAN disk where the 10 mount points that we see on a
Unix
box are actually split from the 3 hard disk drives on the SAN box, I'm
not
sure that splitting indexes and tables for performance matter anymore. =20

If you are going to use automatic allocation of segments for the
database
objects, it would be interesting to hear from the experts if the
separation
of these objects really matters.

However, I still do it for management of database objects - mostly
because
index segment usage is so much smaller that table segment usage.

Hope this helps.

Tom