RE: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

  • From: "Goulet, Dick" <DGoulet@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <JBECKSTROM@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracledba@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-rdbms@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 14:27:31 -0500

In my opinion, yes.  The original idea was to place the objects on
different drives to protect against failure and contention.  But today I
still think it's valid as large tablespaces take more time to scan than
smaller ones.  It may not reduce contention, but speed still counts. And
then there's always the problem of the fumbled fingers at the os level.=20

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA