RE: separate tablespaces for tables and indexes

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <MGogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'richard.foote@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <richard.foote@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:57:14 -0500

Richard, I am still not convinced, and for the following reason:
The alternatives were: splitting indexes and tables in their separate
tablespaces vs. leaving them in one tablespace. If you leave them in one
tablespace, then 1100 LIO/sec is what you get, because both of your disks
will be a part of the same tablespace. Tablespace blocks are allocated
sequentially and, if you put both "disks", in the same file, you will end up
exactly with what you say you don't propose.
In order to make separation policy viable and easy to document you have to
adopt one of the two principles mentioned before. Second policy (size based)
does not put indexes and tables in the same tablespace, because indexes are
usually smaller. The first policy would render exactly what you described as
a big no-no: everything in a single place, with 1100/sec.
--
Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121