Re: separate owner/ORACLE_HOME for crs, ASM, and database in RAC environment

  • From: Dan Norris <dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:12:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi Li,

If you haven't already, I'd check the ASM instance logs, the DBCA trace output
(I don't remember how, but there's an env var or a mod to the dbca start script
that enables DBCA tracing), or the listener log to determine how far your DBCA
is getting the process before failing.

I'd also probably try creating an instance by hand (without DBCA) to see if
it's a DBCA issue or a core RDBMS/ASM issue.

One of those locations is bound to yield some useful log information to get you
closer to finding the root cause of the issue. For the record, I'm not
guessing...the issue going to be shown in one of those places for sure. I'm a
card-carrying BAAG member ;).

Until you responded, I was hoping that you used a different OSASM group and
that would be your issue. Hopes dashed...:(

Dan

P.S. I don't know how Oracle Support does it--solving issues with no access to
see the issue and having to ask 1000's of questions to get the info they need.
I still think they could do better, but it's threads like this one that remind
me why I don't do phone support!

From: Li Li <
litanli@xxxxxxxxx>