RE: segment issue

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oratune@xxxxxxxxx>, "'yang liu'" <ylouis83@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:17:10 -0400

I'll take a stab at what I *think* you are describing. You moved a table
without changing the pctfree and the extent sizes haven't changed either,
but the destination is bigger than the source.

Consider that percent free and percent used control whether a block is a
candidate for the insertion of new rows. Now let's suppose that most of your
rows grow after insert because some column values are born null or with
small defaults that become longer.
So your blocks are routinely much fuller than the original insertion size.

The other possibility is that the extent sizes have changed and the last
extent is now more empty. Or you could have changed initrans.