RE: segment growth

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <remigiusz.sokolowski@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2014 08:11:06 -0400

As with any trend analysis you can do something like least squares to make a
projection.

If you want to have an idea whether the trend produced is somewhat reliable,
you then have to do a confidence calculation for the type of trend calculation
you made.

Few points lead to low confidence, few points combined with data that are bits
of a saw tooth wave pattern lead to oscillating projections. Consider a series
1,3,1,3 on the amplitude axis against uniformly increasing time axis (say once
a day for storage) repeating and calculate least square with even and odd
number of points included. Graphs ending in 3 will project growth, those ending
in 1 will project. With enough points the trend will approach zero slope at an
amplitude of very near 2, but it would still oscillate slightly.

So you have to be very careful about values that rise and fall.

You also have to be very careful about anticipation of epochal events that make
the history of points irrelevant.

For capital planning, you probably should ignore shrinkage unless it is
permanent and over some threshold.

To do this, the simplest think is to keep two values: How big am I today and
max value. (Update max value if current is bigger than max).

For load/truncate tables (or anything else that has a pattern like that), you
need to check the max size just before truncate to avoid surprises.

And then perhaps see how much overestimate you have from the drift between
current and max over purchase planning forecast windows like a quarter or a
year.

Oh – an don’t look at the data until you’ve got a reasonable number of points.
It will just annoy you.

mwf