Re: security alert - management up in arms

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:39:12 +0100

From the notes on security patches - It would seem that Oracle say Go
ahead - if it doesn't work call us!

22. The patch README file mentioned "You must have NO OTHER PATCHES
installed on your Oracle Server since the latest patch set (or base
release x.y.z if you have no patch sets installed)."  What do I do if
I have applied any one-off patches?

    We put in this warning as a standard practice with the readmes of
ALL interim (one-off) patches, because the application of any patch
can add risk to the processing environment. Interim patches are not
tested as extensively as patchsets. The customers need to know that
there is always a possibility of a file conflicts with a previous
patch that was applied since the last patchset.

    However, the customer should still try to apply the patch with
opatch. If conflict reported and the conflict is not pointing to a
previous security alert, the customer should request a merge patch.
Otherwise, they can ignore the conflict report.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA