RE: security alert - management up in arms

  • From: "Mercadante, Thomas F" <thomas.mercadante@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:00:33 -0400

Paula,

You can always take the approach that if Oracle says it must be patched, and
you have warned management that the patch should be applied and tested
before it goes to production, then you have at least done your part to warn
everyone of the risks involved.

I think for the most part that Oracle patches do not at least cause any harm
- that at the very least there is *another* patch that should fix any new
problmes that arise.  We have entered a new world with these freekin Oracle
security patches.  We're being forced to apply patches even though we don't
have any exposure to the problem.

For example, if you do not allow the scheduling of jobs within Oracle, you
may not be exposed to the risk.  And yet we are forced to patch the
database.

Ah well.  Just patch it and be done with it.

Tom Mercadante
Oracle Certified Professional