Re: rman policy

  • From: Mike Schmitt <mschmitt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 12:09:33 -0600

You can have your script check the date, on the first Saturday of the month use the RMAN keep until parameter like the following

backup database keep until time 'sysdate+1095' <logs>...

If this is a hot backup, then you will need to provide the logs keyword. This causes some issues because when you give the logs keyword, RMAN then wants to keep 1095 days of archive logs in the catalog and not expire them. If you use a cold backup, then you do not need to provide the logs keyword and you can avoid this.

I believe someone else mentioned that you can manually remove the 1095 days of archive log backups from the catalog manually (the ones you do not want to keep records of), I am not sure and you will need to test it yourself.