RE: rman online backup with exclude undo tablespace

  • From: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <p4cldba@xxxxxxxxx>, "'oracle-l'" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 11:50:27 -0500

Someone else has already mentioned ways to attempt to salvage data, but it
seems you're not broken in production from what you've written. If you have
an old enough copy of this file around and the intervening archived redo
logs, you should be able to recover.

Likewise, you can just take a new backup properly including the undo. If
you're in a hurry to get the test system running, recovery of the file seems
reasonable, but it is well worth your time to create and practice a working
"disaster recovery scenario" without having to apply spit and bailing wire
at the end of the process. Circa 1988 great care was required to get Oracle
recovery "just right." For at least a decade is has been quite routine and
the only complexity is figuring out which modes of recovery best fit your
hardware, environment(s), and your requirements.

I'm curious where you got the idea that you did not need the undo
tablespace. If is was merely lack of understanding of recovery (restarts
except for carefully constrained normal shutdowns routinely require some
rollback after the redo is applied to account for transactions in flight
that had database blocks flushed prior to the commit), that is one thing,
but if someone is giving this as advice in developing a recovery or cloning
protocol we need to debunk the notion. It would not be the first time
anti-Oracle forces have spread pernicious rumors about how Oracle operates,
and it would also not be the first time someone just plain wrong was giving
out advice.

Regards,

mwf

  _____