RE: rman online backup with exclude undo tablespace

  • From: "Jeremiah Wilton" <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <p4cldba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 13:00:24 -0800

Prasad,

The error you are getting from open is that the UNDO tablespace datafiles
are missing.  Specifying _corrupted_rollback_segments will not solve that
problem. If you would like to move on to the *next* error you are going to
receive, then you can re-create the controlfile with the UNDO datafiles
removed, or you can OFFLINE DROP them from MOUNT mode.

Notably, the method of saving time/space you devised is simply invalid.  You
need undo in order to create a consistent database.  You can technically
open it without UNDO, but the result will range from inconsistent in the
best case, to constantly crashing in the worst.

For those performing real recoveries of production data, I think this group
is a great place to learn about extraordinary recovery methods, such as how
to allow resetlogs/read only corruption, specify corrupted rollback
segments, and artificially advance the SCN.  But for those like you who are
willfully persisting in a flawed approach, the desire to help, at least on
my part, is greatly reduced.

Please just go back and get a copy of the UNDO tablespace which at 16G is
really not that big. It doesn't matter if it takes 20 hours to make the
copy, as long as you can bring it all consistent with archivelogs.  As with
others, I recommend taking a more conventional approach to this project.  I
don't believe you will be providing your clients with a test system that is
consistent with professional standards if you continue on your current path.

Regards,

Jeremiah Wilton
ORA-600 Consulting

Prasad wrote:

> Yes, it shows correctly printed in the alert log . but when I try to do
show parameter it do not show . does
> that mean it is effective on the background?   but if it is effective then
when I try to open in resetlogs it