RE: rman log

To add to my fantastically helpful response below it was pointed out to
me that there is a log command.

A quick search of the docs and I found the following

Using RMAN with Command Files

A command file is a text file which contains RMAN commands as you would
enter them at the command line. You can run the a command file by
specifying its name on the command line. The contents of the command
file will be interpreted as if entered at the command line. If the LOG
command line argument is specified, RMAN directs output to the named log
file. Command files are one way to automate scheduled backups through an
operating system job control facility.

In this example, a sample RMAN script is placed into a command file
called commandfile.rcv. You can run this file from the operating system
command line and write the output into the log file outfile.txt as
follows:

% rman TARGET / CATALOG rman/cat@catdb CMDFILE commandfile.rcv LOG
outfile.txt

Directing RMAN Output to a Log File

When you run RMAN in command line mode, it sends the output to the
terminal. If you specify the LOG option, then RMAN writes the output to
a specified log file instead.

Output for currently executing RMAN jobs is also stored in the
V$RMAN_OUTPUT view, which reads only from memory (that is, the
information is not stored in the control file). The V$RMAN_STATUS view
contains metadata about jobs in progress as well as completed jobs. The
metadata for completed jobs is stored in the control file.

www.jhdba.wordpress.com