Re: rman incremental merge

  • From: "Don Seiler" <don@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Randy.Steiner@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 11:11:34 -0600

The usage that I've seen and used is to start with a level 0, and from
there on out you'd only take level 1 incrementals.  Then, based on
your recovery window, you could roll your base backup image forward,
for example to 7 days ago, if that is your window.  It saves you the
time of not having to do another level 0, but having a recent level 0
image to start with for recovery.

The reason I stopped using it is that you HAVE to do a backup COPY.  I
didn't have the disk to hold an actual copy, and needed to have
compression.

Don.

On 12/4/06, Steiner, Randy <Randy.Steiner@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
In the documentation, it is refered to as Incrementally Updated Backups:
Rolling forward image copy backups.

It is a level 1 incremental that is applied to the image copy and rolled
forward to the point in time when the level 1 was created.