Re: rman incremental merge

On 12/4/06, Don Seiler <don@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The usage that I've seen and used is to start with a level 0, and from
there on out you'd only take level 1 incrementals.  Then, based on
your recovery window, you could roll your base backup image forward,
for example to 7 days ago, if that is your window.  It saves you the
time of not having to do another level 0, but having a recent level 0
image to start with for recovery.

The recovery of course depends on whether the incremental was a
differential or cumalitive incremental.  Cumalitives give faster backup
performance than differentials, but cause longer restoration times.  This
is assuming that there is > 1 incremental level 1+ between level 0.

The reason I stopped using it is that you HAVE to do a backup COPY.  I
didn't have the disk to hold an actual copy, and needed to have
compression.

Somehow I have missed that part.  I have backed up and restored
databases from incremental 0 and 1, but have not had to do any
backup COPY.

Can you point to a relevant doc?

--
Jared Still