From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Joe Smith
Sent: 13 Dec 2005 14:56
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: rman incomplete recovery

List,

I am trying to do an incomplete recovery of my 9iRel2 db on Solaris 8.  I am

in archive log mode.
This is a test environment.
I autobackup my control file and snapshot the control file.

The basis of the backup is:

backup database plus archivelog delete all input;

My RMAN backup script works fine, it has been running on multiple boxes for
months now.
I have tested different situations and now working on a new one.

I can do an incomplete recovery with the current control file and redo logs.

I am trying to simulate the situation of losing my controlfiles and redo
logs.
When I try to do an incomplete recovery with a backup controlfile and no
redo logs I get an RMAN error.
So, I rename my controlfiles and redo logs and try to recover to a time
before my redo logs.
I am using this run block:

run
{
set controlfile autobackup format for device type disk to
        '/backup/location/control_%F';
set until time "to_date('12-12-05 19:00:00','MM-DD-YY HH24:MI:SI')"; restore
controlfile from autobackup; alter database mount; restore database; recover
database; alter database open resetlogs; }

I get an RMAN error about database not mounted.  I don't think that is the
whole problem.
Any help is highly appreicated.

thanks.

for the individual or entity named.  If you are not the named addressee
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive
late or incomplete, or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not
message which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
This message is provided for informational purposes and should not
be construed as an invitation or offer to buy or sell any securities or
related financial instruments.
GAM operates in many jurisdictions and is
regulated or licensed in those jurisdictions as required.