Re: rman backups

  • From: "goran bogdanovic" <goran00@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 11:59:40 +0100

On 11/8/06, Mark Brinsmead <pythianbrinsmead@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

To take Bob's comments one step farther...

If your data is worth the trouble of backing up, archivelog mode is
(almost) mandatory.

Does your management understand that doing offline backups (without
archivelogging -- after all, cold

I have seen such "managers"...it is sad that such people are managing
production systems...I just wonder how they get to this position?

backups don't preclude archivelog mode) leaves you in a position where a
serious system failure (maybe coupled with one bad tape cartridge) could
cause you to lose several days' worth of data?  Are they okay with that?

The incrementa cost of running in archivelog mode is (for most
organizations) a nit compared to the risk of operating without it.

On 11/7/06, Bob <orcl@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Hi Brian, Im  surprised no one has mentioned that  backing up with rman
> in no archive log mode will give you nothing more than an rman managed cold
> backup.

> Maybe you "cant" run in ALMode (management reasons) but if your goal is
> to "...become more intimate..." with rman- then  archivelog mode is
> mandatory. The good thing about using rman is that it  manages (deletes
> obsolete, applies recovery) of archive logs for you. Minimal manual
> intervention is needed to manage, or apply archive logs

Cheers,
-- Mark Brinsmead
   Senior DBA,
   The Pythian Group