Re: restoring from backup when db is open

  • From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Joseph.Armstrong-Champ@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 11:27:02 -0300

It is *possible* but you have to toy around with hidden parameters and the
database *WILL* be inconsistent so you should only use it to export the data
and import it into a new, fresh database. I will not give out the parameters
in a public list as they are quiet dangerous (basically you are telling
oracle: ignore all the things that make you a safe database and just give me
data!!!) and my recommendation to you is open a SR with Oracle and hope they
are in a good mood and don't automatically close it because you are not in
9.2.0.8

Oh, and I think there's no need to tell you to USE RMAN BACKUPS!!!! no other
form of database backup is acceptable (there are always exceptions, but
you'd better justify your exception pretty damn well) since Oracle 9.2
(probably before, but I don't know how well RMAN handles with 8i).

That being said, I've successfully recovered the data from a worse scenario:
"full disk copy" with the DB open on a 8.1.7 on NT4 database. So it is quite
possible.

hth
Alan.-