Re: restore q from TSM

  • From: "Vishal Gupta" <vishal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "K R" <kp0773@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 10:09:43 +0000

Same applies to multiple TDP channels from single server as well. Each rman
channel via TDP is treated by TSM as separate TSM session. So if rman decides
to restore from multiple backup pieces in multiple channels and these  backup
pieces are on same tape, then other channels will to have to wait for tape to
be free from first channel.

And usually every TSM is configured to  stored backups above a defined threhold
size, first on staging disk pool, then they offstage from staging disks to tape
in the background. And your multiple backup pieces backup at the same time end
up on the same tape. Since TSM does not many tape heads ( it may have between 1
or 10 tape heads) and you may have multiple clients trying to backup at the
same time. So in order to optimise this TSM temporarily stores backup on
staging disk first and then moves them to tape.   Staging disks are usually few
TB in size but they do get filled up at a faster  rate than the rate at which
data can be  destaged.

So any backup file above defined and configured threshold goes straight to tape
bypassing the staging disk pool.

Just few of things to keep in mind with Tape backup servers.

Cheers,
Vishal