Re: restore datafile to standby database

  • From: "Zhu,Chao" <zhuchao@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 10:27:26 +0800

On 2/21/07, Ujang Jaenudin <ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 2/20/07, Alex Gorbachev <gorbyx@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> nologging issue and raw devices have nothing to do with each other.
>
> If you are asking for raw devices - Oracle will restore datafile
> directly on your raw device providing you renamed it (SET NEW NAME in
> RMAN before restore and recovery or ALTER DATABASE in SQL*Plus). It's
> common practice to use soft links to raw devices - this way you can
> have the same path on standby.

you mean oracle will be replaced the raw by new file through RMAN?
I asking this for sure, and how to check? from alert log? or where?

It is funny setting to have primary running on filesystem and standby
running on raw, as Alex says; opposite will be much easier for you.
just rman backup the datafile, copy (ftp/scp/rcp whatever) to standby host,
and dd to the target raw device; if you have a tape that connect both
prod/stby, just set new name for the datafile and restore it to raw device
directly;  v$datafile tell you everything. or alert log as you said;

By the way, there is one flaw with your implementation. Since your
> primary is on FS - it's easy to add new datafile without a single
> thought about standby.

ya i put  standby_file_management=MANUAL, so whatever changes to the db
structur, i have to re-execute command for standby to match with raw.

you database is pretty stable in size so you can live with it. if db
structure changes, standby will do that for you like resize, create the
datafile etc. for datafile rename etc, you have to re-do
manually.checkstandby manual for what is/what is not supported for
standby.

If on standby you don't create respective raw
> device - it will stuck. If you have raw devices on both primary and
> standby - there are less chances that you forget raw device on standby
> but still.

you mean can I put standby_file_management=AUTO? and how about db
structure changes?
i think at least the raw on standby should be configured same as
primary....

In my experience, opposite setup works much better - raw devices on
> primary and filesystem on standby.

can use standby_file_management=AUTO and how about changes with db
structure?

regards
Ujang
dba@indonesia