Re: restore datafile to standby database

nologging issue and raw devices have nothing to do with each other.

If you are asking for raw devices - Oracle will restore datafile
directly on your raw device providing you renamed it (SET NEW NAME in
RMAN before restore and recovery or ALTER DATABASE in SQL*Plus). It's
common practice to use soft links to raw devices - this way you can
have the same path on standby.

By the way, there is one flaw with your implementation. Since your
primary is on FS - it's easy to add new datafile without a single
thought about standby. If on standby you don't create respective raw
device - it will stuck. If you have raw devices on both primary and
standby - there are less chances that you forget raw device on standby
but still.
In my experience, opposite setup works much better - raw devices on
primary and filesystem on standby.

On 2/20/07, Ujang Jaenudin <ujang.jaenudin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
dear all,

i have a standby database which use raw devices under solaris 9.
and a primary database which use filesystem under solaris 9 too.

recently i have a problem which is nologging issue. see ML 290161.1

my question is how we know that when restore to raw devices through rman,
will it replace file in the raw?
or should I create new raw and directing my new restore to new raw?

--
regards
 ujang

--