Re: restarting a 8.1.7 -> 9.2.0 upgrade

  • From: Jeremiah Wilton <jwilton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: M Rafiq <rafiq9857@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:49:01 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 12 Sep 2004, M Rafiq wrote:

> Yes, this script can be run again if it failed/crashed during
> upgrade. Just make sure you have put database in NOarchivelog mode
> as it writes a lot and generates a lot of redo logs.

Yes, running the upgrade and dictionary scripts generate a few logs,
but if you switch to noarchivelog mode, the prior backups cannot be
used for any potential recovery that requires roll-forward past the
time of the upgrade.

If noarchivelog mode is used for the upgrade, then a full backup will
be required before being fully protected.  This could extend the
outage more than necessary.  I would just live with the extra logs to
have a shorter overall upgrade outage, and to maintain full
recoverability through the upgrade.

--
Jeremiah Wilton
http://www.speakeasy.net/~jwilton