relocating RAC One Node

  • From: Maureen English <maureen.english@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 09:02:08 -0900

We have RAC One Node installed on a 4 node linux RHEL5 cluster.  We do
not use Grid Control, but I've been using EM Database Control to manage
it.

The database I created is DBA1 and the instance running on the system
where I installed the RAC One Node rdbms was DBA1_1.  I was able to bring
up a web browser on my PC and connect to DB control on the node where the
database was running and whatever I needed to with the database. That all
makes sense to me and everything seemed to be working fine.

Then I decided to relocate the database, using DB control.  That also
seemed to work fine.  The instance is now running on a different node and
is called DBA1_2.  However, when I try to use DB control, it can't connect
to the database...TNS errors that the listener doesn't know about the
database.  The instance it's trying to connect to is still DBA1_1, though.

I've read Metalink Document 1335697.1, but I get errors when I run the
emca commands.

So, I figured that I could just relocate the database back to the original
node and it would be back to where I started.  Since I can't use DB control
to do that, I used crs_relocate.  The database relocated back to the original
node just fine, except that the instance is still DBA1_2 and I still can't
use DB control because DB control is still trying to connect to DBA1_1.

I have a ticket open with Oracle, but I'm wondering if anyone else has run
into a similar issue.  I'm pretty sure that I need to do something so that
DB control knows that the instance is now DBA1_2.

This is just a test system, and I'm still reading through the documentation
for RAC, etc.  I'm sure there's some detail I missed somewhere, but haven't
yet found.

Any suggestions?

- Maureen