Re: rac network question

  • From: Andrey Kriushin <Andrey.Kriushin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: dannorris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 12:36:50 +0300

Hi,

I've an experience of building Oracle clusters since 1997. And I fully support Dan Norris in the following statement
If these blades only support 2 NICs (and you have no opportunities to expand them), then I'd elect to leave the redundancy aside and take a NIC failure as a whole node failure
Your SA just wants to avoid to see the problem. Thus he suggests to masquerade the problem instead of taking the things as they are. Don't do that!

On a more technical note - instead of taking corrective measures (substitute the blade :() only when the NIC would fail (most probably that is a single physical device, thus both NICs would fail most probably), you are going to place yourself in the position where you may have troubles during the "normal" operation. Who knows what would be the traffic on the public VLAN? Mainly the spikes in that traffic?

-- Andrey

Dan Norris wrote:
Michael,

I see a huge problem and very likely a support issue as well. Basically what he's saying is that the host will have a *single* logical network interface. That *single* interface will need to serve as the private and public interface and that's where Oracle Support may have some major problems.

If these blades only support 2 NICs (and you have no opportunities to expand them), then I'd elect to leave the redundancy aside and take a NIC failure as a whole node failure. Since the only other choice is to combine public and private networks over a single logical interface, removing redundancy so you have 2 separate logical/physical interfaces would be a favorable choice.

Dan