Re: rac network question

  • From: "David Taft" <oradbt054@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 11:29:00 -0500

Andrew,

It is possible to use a crossover cable, but as soon as one node goes down
you loose the network.  This usually results in ORA-29740 errors and even
split-brain scenarios.  We experienced this several years ago with a large
production system.  In our case we experienced the following:

RAC Instances Crash with ORA-29740 or ORA-600 [ksxpwait5] on IBM AIX,
Doc ID:     Note:175678.1

The problem was resolved by replacing the crossover cable with a switch.
Crossover cables are not supported by Oracle for RAC, although there was
time when this was not the case.  Just as an FYI, here is a good note on
troubleshooting ORA-29740 errors:

     Troubleshooting ORA-29740 in a RAC Environment
      Doc ID:     Note:219361.1

Cheers,

David