Re: rac cluster crashes

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar666@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:32:43 +0300

My co-workers found the problem late last night.
It seems that the network connection has a name like: private.

When installing the RAC they wrote: Private  (capital first latter).
It worked fine in 10.2.0.3.
Oracle did more severe error checking and they failed in 10.2.0.4 with the last CPU because the first letter was 'P' instead of 'p'.
No log or error message to let you know.

BTW - They first tried to change the name of the network connection but it was restored after boot. They got from Oracle support a command to change the name in Oracle configuration file, so it will match.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Yechiel Adar wrote:
Where can I find the VIP trace file.
My co-worker did an upgrade last night, on windows 64 bit from oracle 10.2.0.3. to 10.2.0.4 + the last CPU.
I got called at midnight because the VIP did not work after the upgrade.

When he went to bed, they changed the tnsnames to use physical address instead of vip and that is the way it is working now.
Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Mark Strickland wrote:
This sounds kinda similar to what happened to us after upgrading from 10.1.0.3 to 10.1.0.5. From my posting in 2006 about our Upgrade-from-Hell "//www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/Upgrade-from-92-to-102-NONRac-Basic-Steps,2":

/[Oracle Support] was able to identify the cause of the problem in the VIP
trace file.  It was occasionally timing out while checking the

default gateway.  The timeout threshold was 2 seconds and the engineer had us
change that to 10. /

Perhaps this will help.

-Mark