RE: question about cpu usage (fwd)

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:43:38 +0000

dont see any harm in putting this on oracle-l. cary probably just didnt do a
reply to all.
the chart is very useful.

From: "Cary Millsap" <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: question about cpu usage
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 20:06:54 +0000

Ryan,

Good question actually. It depends on how many CPUs are in there. If you
have a copy of "Optimizing Oracle Performance" handy, check out table 9-3 on
page 260. What it says is that you can expect performance to vary
unpredictably on a 1-CPU machine when CPU utilization exceeds 50%. On a
2-CPU machine, the magic number is about 57.7%. On a 4-CPU machine, it's
66.5%. The table lists "knee in the curve" numbers for CPU counts ranging
from 1 to 128.

The whole section called "Behavior of M/M/m Systems" (pp254-266) should be
of interest to you.

Cary Millsap
Hotsos Enterprises, Ltd.
http://www.hotsos.com
* Nullius in verba *

Upcoming events:
- Performance Diagnosis 101: 10/26 Toronto, 1/4 Calgary
- SQL Optimization 101: 10/18 New Orleans, 11/8 Dallas, 12/13 Atlanta
- Hotsos Symposium 2005: March 6-10 Dallas
- Visit www.hotsos.com for schedule details...