query uses function based index in DEV1 db but does NOT use it in DEV2 db

  • From: Li Li <litanli@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 09:33:54 -0500

Hi, List,

I have a query that uses function based index in DEV1 db but does NOT
use it in DEV2 db. I've compared parameters
db_file_multiblock_read_count and optimizer_index_cost_adj, they are
identical between DEV1 and DEV2. I've gathered system stats and stats
on the tables that the query is based on in DEV2. Still the query
refuses to use the index in DEV2. I can use the index() hint to force
it to use it but that's not an accepted way to resolve this issue.
Another strange thing is: even a commented out hint would make the
query to use the index. such as:

select  --/*+ index(tranlogtra0_ NU_TTL_CANX) */

I am confused and wondering what else I can do? Version 11.1.0.7.0 on RHEL 5.3

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated!
-Li