Re: query slow in 9i, but not slow in 8i

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 22:12:17 -0700

At 09:44 PM 3/1/2004, you wrote:

[...]

It did not seem to help.

What did not seem to help? I am questioning if not having workarea_size_policy=auto is overriding the setting of sort_area_size and hash_area_size. If that is so, then your exercise didn't prove or disprove anything.

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Wolfgang Breitling wrote:

> >NAME
> >VALUE
> >----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------
> >workarea_size_policy
> >AUTO
> >
> >Would this value have some effect on my query?
>
> It could. What is the pga_aggregate_target? I couldn't quickly find what
> overrides what:
> Does setting sort_area_size or hash_area_size override
> workare_size_policy=auto or vice versa?
> Does anyone know? (Rhetorical question - someone'll know). I lean towards
> the former.
>
> Run a 10053 event trace when explaining the sql - both in 8i and in 9i. It
> may be too big to post. You can e-mail it to me.

Wolfgang Breitling
Oracle7, 8, 8i, 9i OCP DBA
Centrex Consulting Corporation
http://www.centrexcc.com