Re: publish a pl/sql pkg

  • From: "Doug Gernaat" <dag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 11:32:27 -0500

haha... exactly right!

this started out as a small in-house type app.
now other external units need to do SOME of
the same programming that we have done.
while other units do their own development,
there might be security concerns where we feel
that this SOME should not be done in multiple
environments. so now... there are talks about
standards - and offering up what we have done
to others as that possible standard(which sounds
reasonable to me).

thanks for the info
-doug-

On 9/14/07, Doug Gernaat <dag@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> i got a pl/sql pkg with some functions and procedures in it.
> it's working beautifully for other programs that use it within
> the same database environment.
>
> if i were to make this available to other depts within our
> enterprise, what route might you take? these other depts
> are using diff programming languages and databases for
> their web apps.

Sharing is a great idea.

Just keep in mind what will happen if people make use of it.

* enhancements will be requested.  You will have to make them.
* bugs may be found.  You will have to fix them
* whatever data it relies on will be changed.  You will have to modify the
code.

You will be maintaining this code for as long as you are with the company.

It's not that I am trying to put a damper on your enthusiasm, you just have
to realize that no good deed goes unpunished.  ;)

Been there, done that.  The most recent example is an app that had a fairly
good database design, and worked fairly well.  The rules changed, I spent
80 hours (or more) adapting it, and I am still responsible for it.  It will
need
changed again soon due to changes in its data sources.

There's nothing wrong with this, other than it tends to interfere with
everything
else that a DBA normally does, which all adds up to extra time spent
working.

I've learned to be more careful what I volunteer for. :)

Just food for thought...
--
Jared Still