From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Peter Barnett
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 9:42 AM
To: Oracle-l
Subject: pga_aggregate_target

Has anyone used this parameter in 9i (9.2.0.4)?

I have a vended application with multiply nested
unions and select distincts.  The vendor has cleaned
up some of the worst queries but it is still very
sloppy and ineffcient.

The server is dedicated to this application's
database. It has lots of RAM (12G) and CPUs (4).  It
hammers the CPUs pretty hard, as much as 100%
utilization during prime user time.  With everything
taken into account, it barely uses 2G of memory.  The
best conclusion I can draw from mulitple analysis of
statspack output is tune the application which is not
possible.

Any thoughts or experience with this parameter?

=====
Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group