RE: password and dblink mgmt tool

  • From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Hollis, Les" <Les.Hollis@xxxxxx>, oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 22:28:14 +0800

My database "users" are actually Application Schemas.  End-users do not
have database accounts.
Database Links are requested by the Application Teams to "connect" two
databases running
different applications.  Neither do I have the same username nor do I
expect the same username
present in the two databases.  I setup a specific account with privileges
only on a subset
of tables/objects in the remote database to be used for the DBLink.

Hemant
At 09:57 AM Thursday, Hollis, Les wrote:
>You don't use a userid/password
>
>Create public database link PROD using 'PROD';
>

>If the user exists on source database and the destination database, then
>statements will work.  If user id does not match across DB's then they
>don't have any perms.
>
>Access to tables can be granted just like in the same DB.  Grant select,
>insert on tablename to username.  Etc

Hemant K Chitale
http://web.singnet.com.sg/~hkchital