Re: password

  • From: Robert Freeman <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: howard.latham@xxxxxxxxx, RStorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 07:11:20 -0700 (PDT)

That was my first thought but the brutal truth is that there are plenty of
brute force cracking tools out there. I think that DBA's need to understand the
security risks that face them... we need to be honest and wide open about
these. Then maybe we will stop using passwords like dude or secret and the like
and consider some real security.

In fact, a well done presentation that demonstrates the vulnerability of an
existing database using publicly available hacking tools is often very eye
opening to management types if you are trying to secure a database and such
management types are hesitant to spend the time/money.

RF

 Robert G. Freeman
Master Principal Consultant, Oracle Corporation
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Other various titles