RE: partitioning

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Brian.Zelli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l-freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 08:53:12 -0600

Brian what your describing here sounds more like "archiving" not
"partitioning".

With archiving you would do more or less what you are saying.  Some sort
of job running once a month to in effect remove the records from the one
table then put them in to some archive table.  But if the use wants
access to both sets of data at any time this would like mean a view on
top of the two tables, which may or may not give you good performance.
Or the application would need to be smart enough to know when to go each
table.   You may also want to look into running the job more then just
once a month if the load gets significant.

With partitioning you would likely set up some sort of composite
partition based on the date and the status fields.  Oracle will now
automatically put the records into the correct partition, make sure you
enable row movement so that as statuses change the row will be moved to
the right partition. On the application side, so long as the user's
queries use the date and the status fields then oracle will
automatically direct the query to the correct partition for the given
query.

Ric Van Dyke

Hotsos Enterprises

Hotsos Symposium

March 6 - 10, 2011

You have to be there, yea I'm talking to you.