Re: parsing puzzle

  • From: Joe A-C <jwc7744@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: andrew.kerber@xxxxxxxxx, Cary Millsap <cary.millsap@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 14:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

But it seems that if the reports consistently show the same results you can
assume that they are reliable. In  my case I've looked at about 25 reports and
they show the same top wait events when the system is slow. This is not the
case when the system is performing ok.

Also, even though the reports are not gathering data from every session it is
taking a sampling of the sessions and as long as the sample is large enough
then statistically I would think that they are representative of the whole. The
key of course is the sampling size.

I understand what you're saying about a particular session causing a problem
but being buried in a lot of other data. I have in the past increased the
intervals to 10 minutes which would seem to help this issue.

The reports have always helped in the past but if they don't help soon in this
case I'll be looking at other tools.

Thanks.

From: Joe A-C [mailto:jwc7744@xxxxxxxxx]

Why do you say that the AWR reports are likely to be misleading?

Andrew W. Kerber