Re: ot - laptop for dba

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: girlgeek@xxxxxxxx, daniel.fink@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 23:33:03 -0400

Claudia,

I have to throw my vote in on the Mac side.  I moved to a Mac Book about 2
1/2 years ago.  Now my desk workstation is a Mac mini server and my next Mac
Book is on order.  I use a Windows VM, but only for corporate email.  The
other benefits of Mac more than make up for having to switch to the VM for
email and honestly, I look at that bit of separation as a benefit.  From a
Mac terminal window, I'm on OSX or whatever Snow Leopard is labeled, and it
acts exactly like my servers, which means interfacing with the real servers
feels seamless.

When I want to test a new release of Oracle, I'd choose Linux on an old
server, in a VM or on boot camp before I'd put it on Windows or Mac, or any
other OS actually.  So maybe don't choose the laptop based just on testing
Oracle and instead try both interfaces and see which one you prefer to work
with.  Your comfort and ability to work in the environment should be the
deciding factors. If you are very used to Windows, Mac will be an
adjustment. Think about how you interact with your databases now, the tools
you use and how that would or wouldn't change based on your laptop OS.  Then
decide.   The biggest adjustment for me was the change in the keyboard, and
at this point, even though I have a Windows VM, there's nothing Oracle
related that happens in there.

One important consideration can be the kind of work you do.  If you consult,
Windows may be a requirement to connect to some client sites.  Another
consideration is that Mac updates are far less intrusive and frequent than
Windows updates, and they don't force you to stop what you're working on for
a reboot.  It really depends on how you work and what you need to do.

cheers ... Robyn

--
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be.