** ordered use_nl question

  • From: A Joshi <ajoshi977@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:36:33 -0700 (PDT)

All,
    I think I aasked this before : I have a query joining four tables. One of
the tables is small and I would like it to start with that table. However,
there is another big table and it has a where clause on a column that is
indexes but not very selective. Looks like it is starting with that.  The way I
think it is starting with that is that : this access is indented most to the
right in explain plan. I assume that is right. I tried to give a ordered USE_NL
hint in different combinations but it does not seem to be helping.

  I would like it go to the small table first then go from there to big table
using another index and so on. I tried giving index hint along with ordered
USE_NL :

  select /*+ ordered_nl(a,b,c,d)  index(a emp_id) */
  but it does not seem to work.

  The plan does seem to change a little so the hint is having affect. However I
am not able to get the desired plan. Any suggestions? Thanks for help