Re: oradebug dump processstate 10

  • From: Nuno Souto <dbvision@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 12:20:28 +0800

Quoting Egor Starostin <egorst@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Run1 latches total versus runs -- difference and pct
> Run1        Run2        Diff       Pct
> 7,067   2,301,590   2,294,523       .31%
> ***

Are you sure this is a reliable figure?  I don't get
anywhere NEAR these many.

> To me, v$access is only usable on idle instances.

Not necessarily.  v$* views were put there for a reason, if
they were soooo bad Oracle wouldn't make them visible in the
first place.

Don't forget you are not comparing apples with apples:
traces themselves have not been instrumented with waits, you simply
do NOT know if your trace isn't causing a lot more overhead in
places where waits are not counted!

Let's not stop using the v$* views just because access to
them shows up badly in comparison to something that is not
even instrumented!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
from sunny Sydney