From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Smith
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 10:15 AM
To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: oracle account in /etc/passwd

I am having trouble getting my scripts to login and run against a 10g
database on solaris 8.

I can login from the cmd prompt as sysdba all day long.

this is the only entry in /etc/passwd that refers to oracle:

(oracle) $ more /etc/passwd
+oracle:x:::::

In /etc/group I see no entries for dba and oinstall.  Oracle and
oinstall are the software installers and owners.

Again I can login to sql*plus as sysdba with no problem.

What does the +oracle  entry mean in /etc/passwd?

Is it authenticating from some other mechanism?

thanks.

You live life online. So we put Windows on the web. Learn more about
Windows Live <http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/127032869/direct/01/>