Re: oracle 11g dataguard on Netapps

  • From: Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: exriscer@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:47:33 -0500

Hi LS,

Thank you, I am just wandering the snapshots on ORACLE HOME should it be the benefit when we apply patch or upgrade the oracle? So we can skip the backup of oracle home and fast of restoring it in case it needed?

I am not sure it is worth to do it or not? We have enough space on both local and NetApps. Just curious to know.

Joan

LS Cheng wrote:

Hi

You can install the binaries in NetApp volumes or local disk, it is up to you, but if you have plenty of spaces in your local disks (now days 100 of GB is not unusual) I dont see why you want to install them in a NAS device, I dont see any advantage.

Again I dont have experience with NetApp snapshots but I have used EMC Snapview which should be similar technology, you put your database in backup mode, take the snap and end the backup mode. More or less there are steps to get two controlfile copies and archived logs, probably googling can get you detail steps.

Thanks

--
LSC