RE: ok for the last 18 yrs in using oracle I must have been asleep, "implied database link"

  • From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bertrand.guillaumin@xxxxxxxxxx" <bertrand.guillaumin@xxxxxxxxxx>, "robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx" <robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>, "TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:24:33 +0100

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator
email: freek.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx
tel +32(0)3 451 23 82
http://www.uptime.be
disclaimer: www.uptime.be/disclaimer

-----Original Message-----
From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Bertrand Guillaumin
Sent: donderdag 18 februari 2010 15:20
To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx; TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE : ok for the last 18 yrs in using oracle I must have been asleep,
"implied database link"

Hi,
Are you sure it exists ? I've made tests and it does not work at least in
10.2.0.3.
sqlplus system/pass@db1

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Thu Feb 18 15:16:38 2010

Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> SELECT * FROM DBA_USERS@db2;
SELECT * FROM DBA_USERS@db2
                        *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found

sqlplus system/pass@db2

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.3.0 - Production on Thu Feb 18 15:16:38 2010

Copyright (c) 1982, 2006, Oracle.  All Rights Reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.3.0 - 64bit Production
With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

I've even verified in the documentation and I haven't found trace of it.

Best regards,

De : oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] de la part
de Robert Freeman [robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx]
Date d'envoi : jeudi 18 février 2010 00:54
À : TESTAJ3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"implied database link"

In my mind, if someone is doing such things in code, this is probably a bad
practice. Also I'm not sure it's a great idea from a security point-of-view to
allow such things. Anyone else have any thoughts here?

RF

Robert G. Freeman
Master Principle Consultant, Oracle Corporation
Oracle ACE
Author:
Oracle Database 11g RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) - ON ITS WAY SOON!
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide
(Sybex)
Other various titles